Exchanging a foreign driving licence
What you need to know
- For more information, see: RDW: exchanging a foreign driving licence
- Your foreign driving licence will be sent to the RDW for the exchange. The exchange will take around 10 working days, which means you will not have a driving licence during that time and are not legally allowed to drive
What to bring
- Your foreign driving licence
- Your proof of identification (passport, ID card)
- 1 recent passport photo (not older than 6 months), Government of the Netherlands: requirements for photos
- Your old driving licence (if requesting an extension)
- CBR medical statement (if a medical exam is required)
Passport photo booth
The Leidschendam Service Centre offers a passport photo booth (not suitable for disabled persons or young children). The photos produced by the booth are usually suitable for identification purposes. A set of passport photos costs € 8. Digital passport photos for driving licence extensions cost € 10. You can pay using the touch-free card reader.
The fee for exchanging a foreign driving licence is € 48,15
You will be asked to pay the fee when you submit the application.
Please note: the only payment method is by debit card.