Returning to the Netherlands from abroad
Would you like to move back to the Netherlands after living abroad? If so, then you must report to the municipality in person within 5 days of your arrival. Please call to make an appointment.
What you need to know
- The municipality must verify the identity of everyone who states their intention to move back to the Netherlands, so you must bring your proof of identification to the municipality in person. Minor children must also be present in person when registering
- If you do not already have a citizen service number (BSN), you will be issued one when you register
- For a list of everything you need to arrange before and during your return to the Netherlands, see Government of the Netherlands Checklist moving back to the Netherlands (remigration)
What to bring
- Everyone must come to the appointment in person
- Valid proof of identification, such as a passport, driving licence or residence permit
- If you are moving from Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten, Bonaire, St Eustatius or Saba, then you must bring proof of deregistration
- Other: original notarised and translated foreign documents pertaining to you and your children, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates or divorce papers
There are no costs associated with returning to the Netherlands from abroad.